June 24, 2022
Reflections – The Best Father Ever
Did you ever think about the best father ever? Sunday, June 19, was a day to celebrate fathers. It is called “Father’s Day”, a special time for families to share how much their father means to them and how they have been blessed by their father’s example. At one church in Texas, several of the younger fathers were asked to share their “father stories” with the congregation. At the end, the preacher summarized the takeaways he had received. They are meaningful and worth reflecting on. And they make up a pretty good “Do this!” list for parents, both fathers and mothers. We might call them the “Seven Habits of Effective Fathers”.
- Love God first!
- There is no substitute for living an authentic life in front of your family. Remember the old saying, “Actions speak louder than words.”
- Discipline is important. They will thank you for it later.
- Spirituality is expressed through your prayers. Pray often in front of your family.
- Do things together. My daughter’s family are camping together this week.
- Love your wife in front of your kids. They will notice.
Last but not least,
- Make God your father! There is no substitute.
Keep your eyes on the best father ever, our Father in heaven. If you want your family to thrive and your children to grow up healthy, think on these things and then do them.
Blessings and peace,
Disclaimer statement: Please note that the opinions expressed herein are those of the Chaplain alone and are based on his personal understanding of scripture and how God works in our lives.
Read more Reflections: Chaplain’s Corner